The Redcoat Veteran

The Redcoat Veteran is an easy project to pick up some colours again: it doesn't need to be assembled, which for a lazy assembler like me is a valuable thing, and it is a great gym for what concerns clothes and skin-tones.

After a long time without painting, I had to brush some dust away from my right hand but despite I think the result could be better, I'm happy with it the same.

On my Dwarves I painted a lot of textures, especially on clothes, because I wanted to highlight their plain&simple dress code, but with my Second Government characters I want to paint more smooth transitions to suggest a more fancy and elegant dress-style.

For this reason, I spent some time with glazes, trying to achieve a smoother rendition.

Before talking about "what I could do better", let's see some step-by-step of the main parts.

The skin has been made following my usual workflow, which I think is easy to understand even for beginners because the two crucial sides of a good skin-tone (contrast and hue) are managed separately. I've started with a smooth basecoat made by Tallarn Flesh, mixed with a little bit of Doombull Brown, to achieve a kind of desaturated, medium skin-tone (1). As always, don't focus on the colours' name, but on the result: you can achieve the same tone using other brands!

As I like to do, after the basecoat I give a wash on the whole surface: this way, I immediately have a clear look at the volumes and I start to build the shadows. In specific, I used a mix in equal parts of Agrax Earthshade and Carrobourg Crimson (2). I know that the use of washes is a bit controversial, because it is generally considered as a medium good only for armies and noobs, but I think that it is useful or, at least, I'm used to it, it's a crucial step to allow my brain to elaborate better the sculpt. Again, I highly recommend to experiment as much as possible, while painting, do not follow blindly the various dogma of miniatures painting: 15 years ago, for example, highly pigmented colours (like the Citadel Foundation line, which Tallarn flesh belongs to) were badly considered by the painting community, because it was believed that highly pigmented colours were not ideal for pro-painting and smooth transition. Nowadays, highly pigmented colours are highly considered and requested. So, yes: follow your instinct and your tastes and do not be scared to try your hand.